About Edgware, Barnet
Edgware Painters and Decorators are the leading local decorating company in Edgware. We are expert house painters with the capability to transform your home and outdoor areas. We also take on decorating jobs for shops and other retail outlets.
Edgware Painters and Decorators provides professional decorating services at very competitive rates across London and the Home Counties including Edgware, Hendon, Barnet, Finchley, Wembley, Harrow, Brent and the wider London areas.
Operating from its base in Edgware, Edgware Painters and Decorators is proud to be recognised as a local business supporting the community.
Edgware is a suburban town in the London Borough of Barnet. It is in an area of Middlesex that used to be part of the county of Hertfordshire. The town centre is on a hill, with residential areas spreading out downhill towards Golders Green and Hyde Park Corner.
Edgware area postcodes are HA8 but it is also within the NW postcode area.
The name "Edgware" is an old English language word meaning "Eadgyth's weir". Eadgyth was the wife of Edward the Elder, King of the Anglo Saxons (899 – 924). In other variants of the name, the spelling has been variously recorded as Edgeworth and Egeworthe. It could refer to a weir or dam used for eels in times long gone. Alternatively, it could be from Old English meaning edge-like ridge.
Edgware is a Saxon name meaning Ecgi’s weir (Ecgi = Anglian tribe). The Ecgi was a stream that now forms the eastern bulwark of the Colne Valley Park. It seems likely that this was used to divert water from the river to feed the moat around Willibrord Tower if indeed it is a tower and not an entirely imaginary building. In 1931, Hendon Rural District Council opened an urban park at Forty Hall Farm in honour of King George V Silver Jubilee.
1842 saw the opening of the Great Northern Railway's (GNR) mainline from London to Leeds, and the GNR established a locomotive works in Edgware. The site was selected on the basis that it lay just outside the boundary of what was considered at the time to be London due to concerns about the building of housing close to railway lines. This led some locals to campaign for being included within London, which was eventually accepted by Acts of Parliament in 1857 and 1878 when local government boundaries were changed.
In 1922, Edgware became part of the urban district of Hendon and this remained so until 1933 when most of Middlesex county became part of Greater London. In 1965, Greater London was expanded to include parts outside the old boundary. This included Edgware.
It has been said for many years that Prince William Duke of Cumberland stayed with friends in Edgware following his defeat at Culloden in 1746 and the escape from London of his Jacobite followers.
The remains of a moat are evident to this day as a line of trees on either side of Forty Hall Lane (ref SJ876247) which is south-east off Edgware Road near the junction with Greenwood Avenue, at SP661670. The Hole in the Wall pub occupies part of the site but legend has it that Prince William's troops destroyed the building which was once there.
In 1878 Clifton House was built for Colonel Bertram Currie FRSE (1840/1–1892), previously Mayor of Edinburgh, by architect David Rhind on grounds designed by John James Stevenson. In 1890 Robert Tennant –later Lord Glenconner– bought the property, extended Clifton House and renamed it Edgwarebury. During his ownership, Tennant made several improvements in Edgware. He lived at the house until his death in 1950 when he left it to his nephew Gerald Wellesley, 7th Duke of Wellington. The present duke lives in France and Edgwarebury is now a girls' school.
Edgware is a multicultural area with a large Jewish community. There is also a large population of white British people and people with Indian and African ancestry. The population of Edgware is approximately 76,506.
Edgware is 1.8 miles from Stanmore, 3.5 miles from Harrow and 10 miles from Charing Cross in Central London.
Edgware is mainly residential in character, with some shops and a central bus garage at its southern end –it is also home to a few industrial firms including an electronics firm named Capacitor Industries (UK) Ltd located on Hendon Way Industrial Estate. The area has three main parks: Oakwood Park; Station Road Open Space, which has been formally designated as public open space; and Wells Close Playing Fields. These parks combined cover about 17% of Edgware's total area. It has a large amount of green space, including Edgwarebury Park and Lowlands. Edgware is bisected by the A5183 road running between Northern Parkway and Colney Hatch Lane.
The area is served by three Conservative synagogues: the Mill Hill United Synagogue on Station Road, Edgware & District Reform Synagogue at Oakwood Park and St. John's Edgware & District Synagogue on Kenton Road (now closed). There are also several Orthodox shuls in the area: a Chabad-run synagogue; a Beis Medrash L'Torah Yeshiva located at 240 Cricklewood Lane; and another one called Shaarei Tfiloh Shul. The latter two are located very close to each other on Wealdstone High Street, just before Temple Fortune Green. The Chabad shul relocated to this neighbourhood from Alperton in the early 1990s and is part of the Edgware Lubavitch Chabad community.
Edgware's main mosque is the Muslim Welfare House on Station Road, with a smaller one next door called Wrenbury Hall Mosque which serves as a prayer room for elderly worshippers and those who cannot attend Friday prayers due to health reasons. The local community also has access to Darul Uloom Hanafi Islamic High School. There are two Jewish schools in Edgware: Toras Hayim Nursery School on Wealdstone High Street; and Shaarei Shomayim Primary School on Oakleigh Road, both of which cater mainly for children aged 3–8, or 9.
Edgware is served by Edgware tube station on the line between Finchley Road and Baker Street. The area also contains several bus routes, including night route N83. The British Transport Police headquarters at Bushey Hall Drive is also located in the area. It is the northernmost underground station on the London Underground network that is on London’s District Line (the next stop north would be Mill Hill East). The Northern Line follows the Edgware Road as far as West Hendon where it branches off eastwards towards Golders Green.
Edgware tube station was opened on 18 August 1924 as the terminus of a new branch from Finchley Central tube station which had itself only opened four days earlier.
Edgware tube station is served by the Northern Line. 3 adjacent stations include Canons Park and Queensbury stations both served by Jubilee Line and Burnt Oak which is served by the Northern Line. A pair of escalators were installed at Edgware tube station to commemorate 100 years since the first underground railway in London opened in 1863.